1-1/2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
1 pound thinly sliced sirloin steak
1 tablespoon canola oil
4 cups broccoli florets
2 cups sliced mushrooms
1/4 cup sliced green onions
1 can sliced water chestnuts
1/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
2 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 drops sesame oil
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 tablespoon cornstarch
- In a medium sized bowl, combine the olive oil, garlic powder, ground red pepper, and thinly sliced sirloin (These are the first four ingredients.). Mix them well and let the steak marinate for at least 20 minutes.
- While the beef marinates, slice the vegetables.
- Heat a large skillet or wok over medium high heat. When pan is hot add 1 tablespoon of canola oil.
- Add the sirloin to the hot oil, stirring constantly until beef is cooked to your desired doneness.
- Remove beef from skillet, set aside.
- Add broccoli to the skillet (or wok) stirring constantly for about 1 minute.
- Add mushrooms and green onions to the broccoli, stir well and cook about 3 minutes.
- Stir the water chestnuts into the broccoli mixture. Stir constantly, cook 1 more minute.
- Broccoli should be crisp but tender. Remove vegetables to a bowl. Set aside.
- In a small bowl combine chicken broth, soy sauce, brown sugar, sesame oil, ground ginger and cornstarch, mix well.
- Return vegetable mixture to skillet (or wok).
- Add the sauce to vegetable mixture, stir well, then add cooked sirloin.
- Stir until sauce is thick and beef is heated through.
Calories 400, Fat 13.6g, Cholesterol 101mg, Sodium 419mg
Carbohydrates 29.8g, Fiber 3.0g, Sugars 6.9g, Protein 39.8g