- Omit the chicken for a vegetarian option.
2 cups cooked rice
2 cups cooked chicken, shredded or cut into bite size pieces
1 ear corn
1 cup fresh green beans
1 medium tomato, diced
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1/3 cup onion, chopped
1/4 cup olives, sliced
4 ounce can diced green chilies
15 ounce can low-sodium pinto beans, rinsed and drained1/4 cup chopped almonds
2 teaspoons seasoning mix (recipe follows)
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Pre-heat oven to 350°.
- Bring water to a rapid boil in a large pot.
- Boil corn and green beans until must tender, about 4-5 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Cut corn kernels from corn cob using a sharp knife. Cut green beans into bite size pieces.
- In a large bowl, combine cooked chicken, corn, grean beans, tomato, garlic, onion, green chilies, olives, pinto beans, almonds and seasoning.
- Lightly coat bottom of casserole dish with olive or canola oil.
- Arrange cooked rice in the bottom of the prepared dish.
- Layer chicken and bean mixture over rice and top with cheese.
- Cover and bake in a 350° for 30 minutes or until warm.
Seasoning Mix (you will only 2 teaspoons for this recipe so save the rest to use later)
1/4 teaspoon each: ground red pepper, ground garlic, ground onion powder, dried oregano, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Mix all ingredients in a small bowl.
Calories 667, Fat 11.5g, Cholesterol 69mg, Sodium 314mg
Carbohydrates 99.9g, Fiber 10.3g, Sugars 2.6g, Protein 38.5g
Calories 561, Fat 9.3g, Cholesterol 15mg, sodium 270mg
Carbohydrates 99.9g, Fiber 10.3g, Sugars 2.6g, Protein 18.2g