- Wash your hands with soap and water.
- Read the entire recipe all the way through to the end. Start with the ingredients, then read all of the directions and any tips written about the recipe. (Sometimes I do this twice just to make sure I understand every step.)
- If you are new to cooking or are using a recipe for the first time you should follow the recipe exactly as it is written.
- Gather all of the ingredients and equipment needed for the recipe.
- Wash your produce with water and a vegetable brush before using.
- If a recipe calls for chopped, sliced or diced foods you will want to prepare these before you actually begin any mixing or cooking.
- Pre-measuring ingredients into small prep bowls or measuring cups makes mixing ingredients a lot easier. (I like using 1-cup glass prep bowls because they can be used to melt butter in the microwave too.)
- Put away the ingredients as you use them. (This along with pre-measuring helps a lot when you are interrupted and can't remember if you used an ingredient or not.)
- If a pre-heated oven is necessary, remember it takes 5-10 minutes to heat it up to the correct temperature.
- Recipes usually give a range for cooking times, always check for doneness at the beginning time of the time range. (Many factors can alter cooking times.)
- Having an empty dishwasher makes cleaning up as you go much easier. Just rinse your bowls, spoons and other equipment then place them in the dishwasher. (Just make sure you don't add cold water to hot baking dishes or pans. Let them cool off first. I learned this from experience and shattered a baking dish once.)
How To Follow A Recipe
Have you ever wondered why your meals don't look like the ones you see in photos? Whether you are making something for the first time or making a dish you are known for, following the recipe exactly as written ensures your meal will be consistent each time. Even experienced cooks make mistakes when cooking, usually because they have memorized a recipe and are either interrupted or just forget something. Here are some tips to help you make wonderful, consistent meals every time and make cleaning up a little easier too.
Welcome to Becky's Tips! Here you will find great cooking tips, health tips and money saving tips. Don't forget to check out all the great vegan plant based recipes on my website. Just click one of the categories above to get started.