- Shopping with a list helps resist impulse buying.
- When buying produce by weight buy exactly what you need. If you don't need the whole bunch of carrots, radishes etc. just take what you need. If you only need half of the head of cabbage ask an employee to cut it for you. (This only works when produce is sold by weight.)
- When buying produce that ripens quickly, such as avocados, bananas, peaches etc. buy some that are ripe and some that all almost ripe.
- Don't be afraid to buy produce that is not perfect looking. If you have grown your own produce you know it doesn't always have a perfect shape but that doesn't effect the flavor.
- Know how much produce equates to a cup, 1/2 cup and 1/4 cup. Check out my cooking conversion chart here.
- Put a list on the refrigerator (or another centrally located site). Keep track of items when you run out of them by writing them down as you use them. Write down anything you may need from meal planning.
- Menu planning can be complicated, but it will save you time and money. To make it easier, ask your family what they want for lunch and dinner for the following week, then post a menu of what you will be making for the week on the refrigerator. Everyone will know what's for dinner and you will know what you need at the store.
- If you don't like eating leftovers, make sure you only prepare what you will eat at meal time. Click here recommended for serving sizes.
- If you find yourself throwing things away because you haven't used it all or forgot it was there, buy less and shop more often.
- Don't be afraid to freeze food before it goes bad. Click here for tips on freezing produce.
- Make soups, salads or broths from any extra produce.
- Know what the use by, sell by and best by dates by clicking here.
Have you read the articles that 40% of food is wasted every year? The average family of four wastes between $1370-$2275 annually. Here are some tips that will help you save money and help you stop adding to the food waste problem. For more information on Food Waste click here.
Welcome to Becky's Tips! Here you will find great cooking tips, health tips and money saving tips. Don't forget to check out all the great vegan plant based recipes on my website. Just click one of the categories above to get started.