1 whole egg
1 egg white
1-1/4 cups olive oil (or canola oil)
juice of 1/2 lemon
2-4 cloves garlic (to taste)
pinch sea salt (optional)
8 slices whole wheat bread
12 ounces cooked chicken
1 slice tomato
fresh spinach leaves
- In a blender, whirl the egg and egg white together. (If you are using salt this is when you would add it.)
- With the blender running, slowly add about a cup of the oil in a slow, steady, thin stream. The mixture will start to thicken.
- Add the lemon juice. Then continue to add more oil until the mixture is thick and emulsified. (You have just made mayonnaise!)
- Peel and coarsely chop the garlic cloves. Using a mortar and pestle (or a small bowl and the back of a spoon) crush the garlic into a paste.
- Spoon the mayonnaise into a bowl and fold in the garlic paste. (You have just made aioli.)
- Arrange 1/4 of the chicken on 4 slices of bread. Spoon 1 tablespoon of aioli on top of chicken.
- Layer tomato slices and spinach over the aioli. Top with remaining slice of bread.
Calories 396, Fat 18.2g, Cholesterol 65.5mg, Sodium 331mg
Carbohydrates 24.4g, Fiber 4.2g, Sugars 3.6g, Protein 32.7g