for any occasion.
1 (3-4 pound) whole chicken
10-12 peeled, whole garlic cloves
1-1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1/2 tablespoon each fresh thyme, marjoram, oregano, sage (you may substitute your favorite herbs) or if using dried herbs use only 1 teaspoon of each.
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Remove giblets, rinse chicken, and pat dry. Cut one clove of garlic in half and rub the garlic over and under the chicken skin.
- Place all of the garlic cloves inside the chicken cavity.
- Pour 1/2 the chicken broth and balsamic vinegar over the chicken breast. Sprinkle 1/2 the herbs on top of chicken.
- Turn the chicken over and place the chicken breast side down on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Pour the other half of chicken broth and vinegar over the chicken back. Sprinkle the other 1/2 of the herbs over chicken.
- Roast uncovered for 40 min. (If needed add chicken broth to pan.)
- Turn chicken over, baste, put meat thermometer in chicken thigh, and continue roasting for an additional 35-40 min. or until meat thermometer reaches 180 degrees.
- Take chicken out of oven when finished roasting. Take rack out of roasting pan and place chicken in pan juices, breast side down.
- Cover with foil. Let sit for 10-15 min. turn chicken over and place on a cutting board before carving.