8 ounces penne pasta
1 tablespoon butter
3 cloves chopped garlic
1/4 cup chopped onion
2 tablespoons flour
2/3 cup low-fat milk
2/3 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1 tablespoon fresh parsley
3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
cornstarch (if needed)
1/2 bunch asparagus cut into penne size pieces
1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- Cook pasta according to package instructions.
- In a medium sized saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat.
- Add the garlic and onions, sauteing until tender.
- Whisk in flour until smooth.
- Slowly add the milk and chicken broth, whisking until smooth.
- Keep stirring until thickened. (If sauce doesn't thicken mix 1 teaspoon cornstarch and 1 teaspoon water to form a paste, add to the sauce.)
- Stir in parsley and Parmesan cheese into the sauce.
- Lower heat and keep sauce warm until the pasta and asparagus are ready.
- In a small skillet, heat olive oil. When the oil is hot add the asparagus. Cook until tender, about 4-5 minutes.
- In a medium serving bowl, combine pasta, sauce and asparagus.
Carbohydrates 39.4g, Fiber 1.4g, Sugars 3.2g, Protein 11.4g