4 eggs, lightly beaten
2 tablespoons low-fat milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
8- 1 inch slices of Dutch Crunch bread (or your favorite bread)
4 tablespoons lemon curd
1 cup raspberries (or other berries)
- In a shallow bowl mix eggs, milk, vanilla and cinnamon.
- Heat a heavy skillet or griddle over medium heat.
- Make a pocket in the bread by slicing each bread piece horizontally beginning at the top crust and continuing down through the bread stopping about 1/4 inch from the bottom. (See below if using thin sliced bread).
- Spread 1 tablespoon of lemon curd inside the bread pocket, then spoon 1/4 cup of berries inside bread pocket.
- Carefully dredge the stuffed bread into the egg mixture. Turn stuffed bread over to coat both sides well.
- Cook egg coated bread until golden, turn over, cook the other side.
- Serve with your favorite syrup.
- If you use regular sliced bread, you can just dredge each piece in the egg mixture, then cook both sides, spread lemon curd filling and top French Toast with your favorite berries.
Carbohydrates 36.2g, Fiber 2.9g, Sugars 16.6g, Protein 10.0g
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- In a medium bowl, beat butter and sugar with an electric hand held mixer.
- Add, eggs one at a time, beat for about a minute more.
- Mix in lemon juice and peel.
- Heat mixture over a double boiler on medium heat until mixture is smooth and thick. (Spoon should leave a trail when stirring, about 15-20 minutes)
- Spoon lemon curd into a bowl, press plastic wrap down onto the surface of the curd and refrigerate.
- If you don't have a double boiler you can use a heavy saucepan, over low heat to start. Increasing the heat to medium when the mixture looks smooth. Stir constantly until thick.
Carbohydrates 13.3g, Sugars 12.8g, Protein 1.1g