1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 pound fresh asparagus, with bottom ends snapped off
1-1/2 cups peeled and diced potatoes
4 cups low sodium chicken (or vegetable) broth
2 tablespoon fresh thyme
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper (optional)
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Saute onion until tender 3-5 minutes.
- Slice asparagus into 1/2-inch pieces (reserving all of the asparagus tips).
- When onions are tender, add asparagus (reserving the asparagus tips to add later), potatoes, broth, and thyme.
- Bring soup to a boil, lower heat, and simmer 20-25 minutes. Vegetables should be tender.
- Carefully blend soup using either an immersion blender or a standard blender.
- When finished blending add the asparagus tips and warm soup about 5-10 minutes.
- Stir in ground red pepper (if desired) to taste.
- Note: The bottom of the asparagus spears are very tough, snap them off and discard them before making the soup.
Calories 120, Fat 3.7g, Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 76mg
Carbohydrates 17.5g, Fiber 3.8g, Sugars 3.5g, Protein 5.7g