12 cups water
3 celery stalks
2 small onions, quartered
4 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
2 bay leaves
2 cloves chopped garlic
1 cup sliced carrots
1 cup sliced celery
1/2 cup chopped onions
1 chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces (you can also use thighs)
1/2 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped (or 1 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
4 ounces linguini or fettucini noodles broken into bite sized pieces
- Put water, 3 celery stalks, 2 quartered onions, 6 garlic cloves, bay leaves.
- Bring to a boil, lower heat, and simmer partially covered for 1 hour.
- Strain vegetables from chicken broth, keep the broth, discard the vegetables. (Using cheesecloth, a strainer or both works best.)
- Return the broth to the pot, add the soup ingredients: chopped garlic, carrots, celery, onions, chicken and basil bring to a boil. (If using the same pot make sure to clean it first.)
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and simmer 30 minutes.
- Add noodles and parsley to soup return to boil, simmer 15-20 minutes, or until noodles are cooked.
Based on 4 servings: Calories 298, Fat 8.1g, Cholesterol 99 mg, Sodium 123 mg
Carbohydrates 25.7g, Fiber 2.6g, Sugars 2.8g, Protein 29.1g