1 large eggplant, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup flour
1 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs
2 tablespoons each, fresh basil and oregano
1 tablespoon garlic powder
8 ounces low-fat Ricotta cheese
Tomato sauce (click here for my homemade sauce)
1/4 cup shredded fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Preheat oven to 450°. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper (or lightly coat with cooking oil)
- Using 3 shallow bowls; place flour in one bowl, eggs in second bowl and breadcrumbs in the third bowl.
- Add basil, oregano and garlic powder to the breadcrumbs, mix well.
- Coat each side of eggplant with flour, then egg, finish coating each slice with breadcrumbs.
- Place prepares eggplant slices on prepared baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes per side.
- Spoon 1/2 of the pasta sauce into bottom of a 13 x 9-inch glass baking dish.
- Layer half of eggplant slices over pasta sauce.
- Top each slice with a scoop of Ricotta cheese.
- Arrange one eggplant slice on top of Ricotta cheese.
- Carefully spoon remaining sauce over each eggplant stack.
- Sprinkle Parmesan-Reggiano cheese over sauce.
- Cover tightly with aluminum foil.
- Bake at 450° for 30 minutes; cool 10 minutes before serving.
Calories 277, Fat 10.3g, Cholesterol 77mg, Sodium 439mg
Carbohydrates 31.6g, Fiber 5.1g, Sugars 7.1g, Protein 16.6g