- This side dish can be prepared the day before. Cover and refrigerate until ready to cook.
1 tablespoon butter
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon flour or potato starch
1 cup milk
1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
12 ounces fresh green beans
5 small potatoes, scrubbed and cubed (peeled if you wish)
1/2 cup low-fat milk (or enough for desired consistency)
2 tablespoons butter
- Place potatoes in large pot, cover with cold water and boil until tender.
- Drain potatoes, into a large bowl, add milk and butter, mashing well. (You can also use an electric mixer to mash.) Set aside.
- Place a steamer basket in in a saucepan with about 1/2-inch of water.
- When water boils, place green beans in pan, cover and steam for 8-10 minutes. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Saute garlic until tender, about 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in flour until well mixed. Slowly whisk in milk until thoroughly mixed.
- Add Parmesan cheese to sauce and stir until melted.
- Mix sauce with cooked green beans.
- To assemble, lightly oil an oven proof bowl, place mashed potatoes in the bottom of the dish making a well in the middle of the potatoes.
- Arrange green bean mixture into the well in the potatoes, bake in a 350° oven for 30 minutes, or until heated through.
- You can make a traditional green bean casserole too. click here for the recipe.
Calories 249, Fat 10.0g, Cholesterol 29mg, Sodium240mg
Carbohydrates 31.0g, Fiber 5.4g, Sugars 5.6g, Protein 9.8g