Extremely flavorful chicken and great for a summer barbecue.
Marinate the chicken overnight and keep cold until ready to grill.
Serves 4 Time: 4-1/2 to 24-1/2 hours (marinate at least 4 hours /cook 30-40 minutes)
4- 4 ounce pieces chicken, bone in
1/2 cup orange juice
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 tablespoon fresh ginger, chopped
1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
1/2 tablespoon reduced sodium soy sauce
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Rinse and dry chicken, place pieces in a shallow dish.
- In a small bowl combine orange juice, lemon juice, ginger, cilantro, soy sauce and pepper flakes.
- Pour sauce over chicken, cover and allow to marinate at least 4 hours, preferable marinate overnight.
- Prepare grill for indirect cooking.
- Place chicken on grill, cover and grill indirectly turning chicken over 1/2 way.
- Cook until done, about 30-45 minutes depending on size.
Calories 106, Fat 2.8g, Cholesterol 57.3, Sodium 132.1g
Carbohydrates 6.2g, Fiber 0.2g, Sugars 3.5g, Prorein 14.1g
This is a nice salad for a gathering because it's made ahead. Just make sure to keep it cool if your festivities are outside.
Serves 6 Time: 24 hours
1 chopped small head romaine lettuce (about 5-6 cups)
1/2 cup chopped bell pepper (preferably red or orange)
1 cup chopped celery
1/4 cup chopped purple onion
1/2 cup frozen peas
3/4 cup light mayonnaise
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 cup (about 4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
2 chopped hardboiled eggs
3/4 cup chopped cooked pancetta
- In a large glass bowl, evenly layer all of the above ingredients in order except the pancetta and eggs.
- Tightly cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Before serving, add the pancetta and the eggs.
- Toss before serving.
Calories 250, Fat 18.7g, Cholesterol 12.6g, Sodium 424mg,
Carbohydrates 12.6g, Dietary Fiber 1.8g, Sugars 5.1g, Protein 9.1g
Just clean them, poke them with a fork and wrap them in foil. Grilled potatoes can be cooked right along side the chicken.
Serves 4 Time: 30-40 minutes
4 medium-size baking potatoes
- Using a fork prick each side of the potatoes a few times.
- Place each potato in the middle of a piece of foil.
- Wrap the foil around each potato.
- Grill indirectly (with the cover on) for 30-40 minutes.
- Serve with your favorite toppings.
Nutrition information not calculated with toppings.
Calories 161, Fat 0.2g, Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 17mg
Carbohydrates 36.6g, Fiber 3.8g, Sugars 2.0g, Protein 4.3g
Nothing says summer more than fresh tomatoes and basil.These will fly off the plate they are so good.
Serves 12 Time: 10 minutes
24 grape tomatoes
24 (1/2-ounce) cubes fresh mozzarella cheese
24 fresh basil leaves
- Place one tomato, basil leaf and cheese cube on toothpick.
Calories 85, Fat 6.3g, Cholesterol 22.4g, Sodium 177.8g
Carbohydrates 0.7g, Fiber 0g, Sugars0.3g, Protein 6.3g
This makes an elegant looking salad with its deep red hues. Make sure to use fresh ripe fruit when you make this salad. Eat this beautiful fruit salad cool or at room temperature. If you can't find cherries, substitute crisp red apples or nectarines.
Serves 8 Time: 10-15 minutes
1 cup red grapes
1 cup cherries
2 cups strawberries
3-4 mint leaves (optional)
- Wash and dry all the fruit.
- Slice cherries in half, remove the pit.
- Remove the tops of the strawberries.
- Cut strawberries in half if small or in quarter if large.
- Mix all fruit in a medium size serving bowl. (Add chopped mint leaves if using)
Per 1/2 cup serving:
Calories 46, Fat 0.1g, Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 4mg,
Carbohydrates 11.1g, Fiber 0.8g, Sugars 1.8g, Protein 0.3g