1 large leek, cut lengthwise, cleaned and sliced about 1/4-inch thick (about 2 cups)
(Use only the white and light green part of the leek.)
1 tablespoon butter
4 cups low sodium-chicken broth (you can use vegetable broth instead)
1/2 cup white wine
4 large potatoes peeled and diced (about 6 cups)
dash of red pepper sauce (optional)
- Melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat, add leeks, cook stirring frequently to separate.
- Cook until leeks are tender. (Make sure not to brown the leeks or they will have a bitter taste.)
- Add chicken broth, wine and potatoes to the pot. Bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer 15-20 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
- Using an immersion blender, blend until smooth. (If you don't have an immersion blender you will have to blend the soup in batches. (Take care when blending hot liquids.)
- Season with red pepper sauce if desired.
Based on 4 servings:
Calories 224, Fat 3.2g, Cholesterol 8mg, Sodium 105mg
Carbohydrates 38.4g, Fiber 5.5g, Sugars 3.6g, Protein 5.8g