1 medium head cauliflower (about 6 cups)
3-4 cloves garlic peeled
1/2 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup sliced leek, white and light green parts only
1 tablespoon butter
4 cups low sodium chicken broth
1 teaspoon cornstarch +1 teaspoon water
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Break apart the cauliflower, cutting the bigger pieces in halves or quarters.
- Place the cauliflower and garlic in baking dish. Toss with oil and nutmeg.
- Roast for 35 minutes, stirring halfway through the roasting time.
- The cauliflower is done when the edges of the cauliflower are tinged with black. (Discard any little completely black pieces they will be too bitter.)
- Heat large saucepan over medium heat. When pan is hot add the butter, saute the leek for 1 minute.
- Add roasted cauliflower and garlic, and the chicken broth. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, cover, and reduce heat to low. Simmer 30 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender blend until smooth. (If using a standard blender you will have to blend the soup in batches. Make sure to take care when blending hot liquids.)
- Add cornstarch and water to thicken soup if necessary. Serve warm.
Based on 4 servings: Calories 76, Fat 4.7g, Cholesterol 8mg, Sodium 91mg
Carbohydrates 5.8g, Fiber 0.5g, Sugars 0.9g, Protein 2.4g