2 red, orange, or yellow bell pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup chopped onions
5-6 cloves chopped garlic
2 cups shelled fresh peas (thawed frozen peas will do but not canned)
9-12 chopped fresh basil leaves
1/2 cup low sodium vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
8 ounces thin spaghetti
- Rub bell peppers with 1 teaspoon of oil, place on foil lined cookie sheet and broil turning to char all sides.
- Place peppers in paper bag or place them in a bowl covered with plastic wrap.
- Peel and seed when cool. Cut into strips.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Saute onion and garlic until tender.
- Stir in peas, basil, broth and water. Simmer 5-8 minutes or until peas are just tender.
- Blend until smooth. Stir in Parmesan cheese.
- Return sauce to pan, keep sauce warm over low heat while spaghetti cooks.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain.
- Place pasta, sauce and roasted red peppers in a large bowl, mixing well. Serve warm.
Calories 232, Fat 4.9g, Cholesterol 41mg, Sodium 69mg
Carbohydrates 39.3g, Fiber 1.9g, Sugars 3.9g, Protein 7.7g