For more artichoke recipes click here.
4 fresh artichokes
4 cloves garlic
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Using a sharp knife, carefully cut the stem and the top third off the artichoke.
- With scissors, cut thorns off the lower leaves.
- Wash artichokes by separating the leaves under running water.
- Sprinkle lemon juice over artichokes.
- Thinly slice each clove of garlic. Place a garlic slice in between artichoke leaves.
- Place a steaming basket in the bottom of a large saucepan with a tight fitting cover.
- Pour just enough water in the bottom of the saucepan to touch the steaming basket.
- Bring water to boil over medium high heat.
- Arrange artichokes top side up, in the steaming basket, cover and steam for 25-30 minutes.
- Let sit 10-15 minutes with cover on before serving.
- I prefer steaming to boiling artichokes because boiling them diminishes the wonderful artichoke flavor.
Calories 80, Fat 0.3g, Cholesterol 0.0mg, Sodium 153.5mg
Carbohydrate 18.0g, Fiber 8.8g, Sugars 0.0g, Protein 5.5g