Homemade Butter makes 1/2 to 1 cup butter
Making butter is easy with a food processor, and it produces a light fresh taste. You will need:
3 cups heavy whipping cream, or double cream (makes about 1/2 pound butter)
- Pour whipping cream into mixing bowl. Beat the cream with a mixer until it separates, this can take about 10 minutes on medium-high speed.
- The cream will begin thicken. It will continue to thicken until it becomes whipped cream.
- Keep beating past the whipped cream stage and begin to turn yellow and break down.
- It will start to curdle. A few seconds later, a glob of yellowish butter will separate from milky buttermilk.
- Drain the buttermilk using a wire mesh strainer placed over a bowl. Make sure the strainer doesn't sit in the liquid in the bowl.
- At this point the butter is edible. It will taste and store better if you wash and work it.
- Knead the butter between your hands and fingers to remove the rest of the buttermilk.
- When all of the liquid is out you will have a nice smooth ball of butter.
- If you want to add salt, just knead in sea salt to taste.
- If you want to use the buttermilk save it in the refrigerator until you use it. (This is not like the buttermilk you buy in the store)
- Put butter in a butter crock, ramekins, or roll in waxy freezer paper. Refrigerate until your ready to use it. It will last about 2 weeks.